"The competitive advantages of the IHU LLM programme are its specialized courses, its well-known and experienced academic staff and its executive structure."
Dr. Thomas Papadopoulos, DPhil (Oxford)
Dr. Thomas Papadopoulos is a Lecturer in Commercial Law at the Department of Law of the University of Cyprus (appointed in January 2016). Previously, he was also a visiting researcher at Harvard Law School (2009-10). He received his DPhil in Law from the Faculty of Law, University of Oxford (2010). He received a degree of Magister Juris (MJur/LLM, 2006) and a degree of MPhil in Law (2007) from the Faculty of Law, University of Oxford. He also received his LLB with Distinction (ranked 1st) from the Department of Law, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki (2005). He is an alumnus of the Anatolia American College of Thessaloniki (2001). He is also a Visiting Professor at the International Hellenic University (Thessaloniki, Greece), at the Open University of Cyprus (Nicosia, Cyprus) and at the Hellenic Open University (Patras, Greece). Moreover, he is an Editorial Secretary of the European Company Law (ECL) Journal published by Kluwer Publications. He is also an Attorney at law (Greece).
He was awarded the “Cyprus Research Award-Young Researcher (2014)” of the Research Promotion Foundation of the Republic of Cyprus (category of ‘Social Sciences & Humanities’). This distinction was awarded on the basis of his research on Takeovers and Mergers and was accompanied by a research grant. He is the Project Coordinator of the Research Project “Takeovers and Mergers in European, Cypriot and Greek Company Law”, which is financed by the Research Promotion Foundation of the Republic of Cyprus.
Previously, he was a Lecturer (2011-15) and an Assistant Professor (2015) in Commercial Law at the Department of Law of the European University Cyprus. He was an adjunct lecturer at the Department of Regional Economic Development, University of Central Greece. During his studies, he was Scholar of the A.G. Leventis Foundation, Scholar of the University of Oxford, North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) Scholar(Scholarships of the Greek Ministry of Foreign Affars), Scholar of the Despotidou-Tsagka Foundation, Greece and Scholar of the Greek Foundation of State Scholarships(IKY). He was a part-time law lecturer at the Law School, University of Buckingham and a law tutor at the Oxford University Programme for Undergraduate Studies(OPUS), University of Oxford. He also taught at the Department of Statistics and Insurance Science, University of Piraeus. Additionally, he was Academic Student Coordinator of the Financial Law Discussion Group, Faculty of Law, University of Oxford. Moreover, he acted as an assistant Legal Advisor (LEGAD) for the NATO Deployable Corps Headquarter at Thessaloniki, Greece (NDC-GR). He participated in workshops of the Technical Assistance and Information Exchange instrument (TAIEX) managed by the Directorate-General Enlargement of the European Commission.
He is the author of the following monograph published by Kluwer:
Some of his publications are included in his SSRN Author Page:
- ‘EU Law and the Harmonization of Takeovers in the Internal Market’, European Monographs Series, Kluwer (2010).
- ‘EU Company Law’ (co-authored with Niamh Moloney), Volume 4, in D. Vaughan, A. Robertson and P. Eleftheriadis (eds) ‘Law of the European Union’ Oxford University Press (2012), Section 20, 520 pages.
- ‘European System of Financial Supervision’ in R. Wolfrum (ed) Max Planck Encyclopedia of Public International Law, Oxford University Press (2014), 12 pages.
- ‘International Organization of Securities Commissions (IOSCO)’ in R. Wolfrum (ed) Max Planck Encyclopedia of Public International Law, Oxford University Press (2014), 7 pages.
- ‘Freedom of establishment of natural persons-Freedom of establishment of companies (Articles 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54 TFEU)’ (co-authored with Federico Ortino) in H. Smit, P. Herzog ,C. Campbell, G. Zagel (eds) Smit and Herzog on The Law of the European Union, LexisNexis (2013), 83 pages
- ‘Freedom of establishment and free movement of capital in the energy sector: the case of privatization of companies’ in N. Farantouris (eds) Energy: Law, Economics, Politics, Nomiki Vivliothiki (2012), 171-210 (in Greek).
- ‘Privatized companies, golden shares and property ownership in the Euro crisis era: A discussion after Commission v. Greece.’ European Company and Financial Law Review, De Gruyter-Berlin (2015) 1-18
- ‘Acquisition of corporate control and clear criteria in the adjustment of the mandatory bid price’ Law and Financial Markets Review, Hart Publishing-Oxford (2013) 97-106
- ‘Cyprus company law: board neutrality and breakthrough in takeovers’ Butterworths Journal of International Banking and Financial Law, LexisNexis- London (2013) 257-259.
- ‘Infringements of fundamental freedoms within the EU market for corporate control’, European Company and Financial Law Review, De Gruyter-Berlin (2012) 221-260.
- ‘The Magnitude of EU Fundamental Freedoms: Application of the Freedom of Establishment to the Cross-Border Mergers Directive’ European Business Law Review, Kluwer (2012) 517-546.
- ‘Article 114 TFEU as the legal basis of secondary EU law in the field of personal data.’ Evropeon Politia, Ant. N. Sakkoulas Publications (2011) 223-243 (in Greek).
- ‘Limited liability of companies and the First Company Law Directive-Case Note-Case C 81/09, Idrima Tipou AE v Ipourgos Tipou kai Meson Mazikis Enimerosis, Judgement of the Court of Justice (Second Chamber) of 21 October 2010, not reported yet.’ Common Market Law Review-Kluwer (2012) vol. 49, 401-416.
- ‘Criticizing the horizontal direct effect of the EU general principle of equality’, European Human Rights Law Review, Sweet & Maxwell-Thomson Reuters- London (2011) issue 4, 437-447.
- ‘EU Regulatory Approaches to Cross-Border Mergers: Exercising the Right of Establishment’, European Law Review, Sweet & Maxwell-Thomson Reuters- London (2011) 71-97.
- ‘An overview of the services directive’ Inter Alia-Durham Law Review (2010) Vol. 7, No. 65, 65-72.
- ‘The relationship between takeover bids and mergers: implications for the internal market of the European Union’, International and Comparative Corporate Law Journal, Cameron May Publishing-London (2010) 1-19.
- ‘Greek legislation on strategic investments: the next golden share case before the European Court of Justice?’ European Company Law, Kluwer (2009) 264-270.
- ‘The ‘Greening’ of Project Finance. Is this a viable ‘Project’?’, Icfai Journal of Banking Law, Icfai University Press, Icfai University-India, (2009) 8-19.
- ‘The European Union Directive on Takeover Bids: Directive 2004/25/EC.’, International and Comparative Corporate Law Journal, Cameron May Publishing-London (2008) 13-103.
- ‘Legal Perspectives on the Scope of the Tenth Company Law Directive on Cross-Border Mergers’, European Current Law, Sweet & Maxwell-Thomson Reuters- London (2008) 1-5.
- ‘The mandatory provisions of the EU Takeover Bid Directive and their deficiencies’ Law and Financial Markets Review, Hart Publishing-Oxford (2007) 525-533.
- ‘Report from Cyprus: An Overview of Cyprus MoU – The Essential Business Law Reforms’, European Company Law, Kluwer (2015) 253-259.
- ‘The market abuse directive and the notion of inside information- Case C-19/11 Markus Geltl v Daimler AG’, Hellenic Review of European Law (2013) 257-264 (in Greek).
- Book Review of Reinhold Geimer and Rolf A. Schütze (eds), ‘Recht ohne Grenzen-Festschrift für Athanassios Kaissis zum 65. Geburtstag’ Sellier European Law Publishers, 2012, 1086 pages, Business Law Review, Kluwer (2012) 190-191.